Sunday, April 19, 2015

week ending September 15th, 2014

This week was full of adventure! We had an awesome lesson this last week where the spirit was so strong! We had the opportunity to teach the message of the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Our investigator had a lot of questions about the Book of Mormon being another book of Scripture... I have learned a lot about outside perspectives of the Book of Mormon on my mission, and I just wanted to talk a bit about that today. I have had a lot of friends and inv. that are concerned that the Book of Mormon:
1. Replaces the Bible
2. Was Fictitiously made up
3. And doesn't teach about Jesus Christ
I love all those I associate with and I can see why these claims would be so troublesome... so I want to clear them up today. 1. The Book of Mormon has not and will never replace the Bible. They are in fact two completely different books of Scripture that talk about the same Jesus Christ. We love the Bible! We revere the Bible and all of the Men and women that were so monumental in helping us to have that sacred record. The Book of Mormon does not take away from what the Bible teaches... they are complimentary to one another. That is something that I love So much about these two books of Scripture! They BOTH help me come closer to my Lord and savior because they both record his teachings and miralces! The Bible was written in Jeruselum and the Book of Mormon was written in the ancient americas by two groups of people. Both groups had come to the americas long before the coming of Christ. One came at the time of the tower of babel and another group came 600 years before Christ came. These two groups of people were not in the same land as Christ when He was born. Their record records their faith in a Savior that would come in a distant land. it records what their prophets foretold He would teach and do. It also tells of the prophecy that Christ would visit "other sheep" after He was crucified. "The crowning event recorded in the Book of Mormon is the personal ministry of the Lord Jesus Christ among the Nephites soon after His resurrection. It puts forth the doctrines of the gospel, outlines the plan of salvation, and tells men what they must do to gain peace in this life and eternal salvation in the life to come." This is the purpose of the Book of Mormon, NOT to tear down the Bible but to support the truths that are taught within the Bible.“For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am in themidst of them.” (Matt. 18:19–20.) Please watch these two videos about the Bible and the Book of Mormon.
Sacredness of Bible: https://www.lds.org/pages/mormon-messages?lang=eng#the-miracle-of-the-holy-bible

2. The Book of Mormon could in no way be fictitiously made up. I know it and I CANNOT deny it. But there is simply no proof or evidence in the world to "prove" that it is true or false... We simply have to do as James directs in the Bible and  "ask of God". Elder Jeffery R. Holland is one of my favorite speakers in the church. He gives an excellent testimony of the Book of Mormon that I could invite you to all watch.
https://www.lds.org/pages/mormon-messages?lang=eng#testimony-of-the-book-of-mormon
I know that what Elder Holland said is true. I can see myself in Joseph and Hyrum smith's shoes... and I can see that any human being that fictitiously made something up to "bring people to God" In the eyes of death they would NOT stand behind it. They would not engender the wrath of God to hang over their very salvation. "THEY WOULD NOT DO THAT" They could not back down from the Book because they did not make it up. It truly is the word of God and they knew that laying down their lives for the cause of the Book of Mormon was far better then denying that the Lord had truly given them a divine Book of Scripture. I testify that the only way to know that the Book of Mormon is indeed the word of our Creator and God, Is to ask him yourself.... But you must do your part. As it says in the Book of Mormon:
 3 Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it bewisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember howmerciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation ofAdam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder itin your hearts.
 4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would askGod, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; andif ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, hewill manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
 5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things. (Moroni 10:3-5)
God will manifest the truth of all things unto us if we but ask in faith! If we diligently search and read with an open heart and ask God he will guide us! I can promise this because I have seen this with the people I have been able to work with on my mission! GOD STILL ANSWERS US!
3. My testimony of my Lord and savior has never been stronger in my life. I have read the Bible, I have read the Book of Mormon. I studied both books in high school and college religion classes... But I have honestly never felt close to my Brother, savior and friend until I ripped the Book of Mormon apart (figuratively) I have been studying every day for the last year marking when christ speaks, His attributes, what he asks of us, and so much more. I was studying in this manner to discover what true conversion is.... in the process I learned the greatest lesson... deep and abiding conversion comes when rooted in our Savior, and as we study his words every day we are continually converted to the path of discipleship.
https://www.lds.org/pages/mormon-messages?lang=eng#lifting-burdens-the-atonement-of-jesus-christ
The Atonement of Jesus Christ is real and it is extended to all of us! I know he lives and loves us!

I know that my Redeemer lives.
What comfort this sweet sentence gives!
He lives, he lives, who once was dead.
He lives, my ever-living Head.
He lives to bless me with his love.
He lives to plead for me above.
He lives my hungry soul to feed.
He lives to bless in time of need.
I know the Book of Mormon is true and I invite all of you to read it and ask for yourself... God will answer you! I know he will!
If you would like a copy I would love to send one to you!
I love you all with all my heart!
Love always, 
Sister Jenn Franzen
p.s. I will write to my mom more in detail about this week... maybe she can scan it into my blog or something.. sorry out of time... just know that this week was full of miracles from an inv. calling saying he wanted to be baptized, to being in the right place at the right time to take someone to the ER, to having three amazing inv. at church for their very first time! MIRACLES! sorry no time to expound. BUT I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment